When I was first learning how to become a better cake decorator I needed a lot of cakes to practice on, and then to teach with, and then I quickly started selling and had a business. We tried a million different recipes. They were all delicious and we gained a ton of weight. This is the recipe that was tweaked just the right amount that I stopped playing around with it and ran my business with it. A doctored box mix that allowed me to sculpt and tier with confidence. Where I can call it my own recipe since I’ve tweaked it a bit, but is also still the WASC-White almond sour cream cake recipe that we Bakers love. Us Americans love the box cake mix. It’s light and fluffy. We think scratch cakes are too tough, and they’re often likened to a cornbread consistency and we think that they’re dry. Whereas Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines know what they’re doing. This is almost a no fail recipe, and baking at home with a full house leads to its fair share of mishaps and mayhem.
This is a slice of a 2 layer 8″ white cake with strawberry filling that Josue made at the bakery. Yummmmm. Demonstrates 2 layers
I couldn’t figure out how to use the recipe plug in so here’s the recipe not formatted nicely, so i could quickly get it out to the class:
The Ultimate Wedding Cake Recipe:
18 Oz white cake mix
1cup plus 2 Tablespoons Cake Flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup White sugar
3 whole eggs
1.5 cups warm water
1/2 cup melted butter
1cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla/ almond extract
1. Weigh box mix, measure dry, sift together in a large bowl and set aside
2. Melt butter
3. Add butter, sugar, water, extracts, and sour cream to a mixing bowl.
4. Add dry ingredients a cup at a time .
5. Add eggs.
6. Beat on medium high for 2 minutes.
7. Add to cake pans, 2/3 way full or measure batter and use a chart:
1. Pan release! Options:
A. baking spray that includes a grease and flour.
B. Make your own mason jar full with equal parts shortening, oil, and flour. Mix in mixer until creamy, spread on bottom and sides.
C. Grease and parchment paper
D. Grease with Crisco shortening, coat with flour (or cocoa powder for chocolate cake)
2. Extracts: can substitute any flavor.
3. Can substitute water with milk or creamer, I like french vanilla coffee creamer
4. Can substitute white cake mix for vanilla, or any other flavors.
5. Can make a true white cake by substituting the whole eggs with egg whites.
6. Chocolate cake can substitute box mix and cocoa powder for cake flour.